Microbiota: An important player in the health and well-being of our pets
How much details can we get, and how important is proper feeding for that detail?
Overall, microorganisms in the gut affect how well the animal’s digestion works, and with proper feeding, containing pre- and probiotics, we can optimize the animal´s microbiota - and improve digestion and intestinal function.
Read more below and find out how to optimize your dog's digestion and overall health and well-being.
What is the microbiota?
The microbiota is a composition of living microorganisms (bacteria, fungi, protozoa and viruses), found in the intestinal tract of humans as well as our pets1. The microbiota functions as an extremely complex ecosystem - unique to the individual pet1. What you may not know is that our pet’s health depends on a well-balanced microbiota, as it greatly affects the animal's general welfare 2,3.
- Disruption of the microbiota can lead to various diseases and conditions, e.g., diarrhea, allergies, obesity, and stress symptoms2.
- The microbiota plays a crucial role in regulating the animal's immune system1.
The composition of the microbiota is determined by several factors: We know that the feed, genetic background, and physiological status of the pet have an influence4, and therefore we can support this complex ecosystem with a proper nutrition for our pet.
As the focus on the microbiota and general gut health increases, we can use our knowledge to optimize our pets' digestion through proper nutrition.
Traditional solutions to digestive problems
- Rice and chicken: They are easily digestible and can help short-term, but it does not support the microbiota. It is not nutritionally correctly composed, and it is therefore not a long-term solution.
- Gastrointestinal diet high in fiber and/or easily digestible: May relieve symptoms but does not necessarily resolve underlying disorders of the microbiota.
Digestive problems are rethought with new solutions
With a focus on a well-functioning microbiota and how we best support it, we can help pets with digestive disorders.
One way to support the microbiota through the daily feeding is to add beneficial bacteria, in the form of probiotics along with fiber sources with prebiotic function, which support the intestine’s existing, beneficial bacteria.
ProBiotic LIVE is a complete feed that meets the animal´s nutritional needs, while containing both probiotics and a wide composition of prebiotic fiber sources. Daily feeding with ProBiotic LIVE is therefore a feed that can optimize the pet's unique microbiota.
By: Klara N. Trads, DVM and Technical Manager at Bacterfield GMBH
- Suchodolski J. and Simpson K. (2013): Canine gastrointestinal microbiome in health and disease. Veterinary Focus. Vol. 23 (no. 2): 22-28.
- Grześkowiak L., Endo A. Beasly S. and Salminen S. (2015): Microbiota and probiotics in canine and feline welfare. Anaerobe. 34: 14-23.
- Suchodolski JS. (2011): Intestinal microbiota of dogs and cats: a bigger world than we thought. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract.
- Holzapfel W.H. and Schillinger U. (2002): Introduction to pre- and probiotics. Food Research International. 35: 109-116